Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gaming Music - Queen

In spite of the fact the music plays only a limited role in my games, it does a fair job of serving as inspiration. Now, unlike most of you, I missed the whole punk & heavy metal influence. I didn’t really begin to expand my music tastes beyond classic rock and classical until high school.

Despite this, there has always been one band that I feel is very inspirational for Dungeons and Dragons, a band that embodies the attitude and character of players, characters, and DMs:


Hear me out! I’m not just a crazy person*!

They are a loud and flamboyant band, full of energy, style and bravado. This matches characters really well, and players too. Who else would spend their time digging around old tombs full of nasty things in hopes of getting some gold?

Also, look at the lyrics (click through for the youtube video of each):

“Adventure seeker on an empty street,
Just an alley creeper, light on his feet
A young fighter screaming, with no time for doubt
With the pain and anger can't see a way out,
It ain't much I'm asking, I heard him say,
Gotta find me a future move out of my way,
I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now,”


“Here we are, Born to be kings,
We're the princes of the universe,
Here we belong, Fighting to survive,
In a world with the darkest powers,”


“Here I am, I'm the master of your destiny,
I am the one the only one, I am the god of kingdom come,
Gimme the prize, just gimme the prize,
Give me your kings, let me squeenze them in my hands,
Your puny princes,
Your so-called leaders of your land,
I'll eat them whole before I'm done,
The battle's fought and the game is won,”

While Queen might not be perfect for the gaming table, it can certainly be inspirational. I know it has been for me!



*note - I do not deny being crazy!

2 comments:

  1. And of course, "Flash...A-ah...Savior of the universe!" for space gaming.

    Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Flash soundtrack is actually pretty great for D&D background music, especially in the early tracks. Lots of heavy drums and atmospherics.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.