Saturday, May 24, 2014

Balticon Filler: Music

Today is the 2nd day of Balticon, so I'm not around right now, but I also don't want to leave you completely abandoned. So here's a bit about what I've been listening to lately.

I have eclectic music tastes. One of the joys in my life is having someone at work walk past my desk, stop, listen in confusion and ask me “What is *that*?”

The way I accomplish this is to go to the library and grab a stack of CDs. I pick them based on their titles, or their covers, or sometimes completely at random. I want to share with you the latest batch, and what I thought of them.

Mehliana: Taming the Dragon
I’d call this some weird experimental jazz. There were some tracks that I couldn’t decide if the disk was dirty, or if the stuttering effect was intentional. I think I’d have liked it if it was just a little less difficult to listen to.

Syncopated Musings: Classic Piano Rags and Ragtime Waltzes
Exactly what it sounds like. Loved it, but knew I would.

Dubstep Side of the Moon
A reimagining of the classic album Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. I’m not generally a big fan of dubstep, but this was pretty good.

William Shatner: Ponder the Mystery
Rock with Bill talking over it. The awesomeness of William Fucking Shatner is hard to explain, but you really have to appreciate his efforts and all that he accomplished in his life. And while I don’t know if I’ll listen to it again, it might be worth adding to my mix.

All Time Favorite Pirate Songs by Carl Peterson
Good songs, studio recording. I think I’d have enjoyed it a little bit more if it had been a little less polished.

Lei Maile by Mark Yamanaka
Traditional Hawaiian tunes for when you need that island state of mind.


Thor by Patrick Doyle
I snagged this one purely because I’m a sucker for instrumental soundtracks. Pretty solid, and I think will make a good addition to the gaming background playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.