Friday, June 26, 2015

#6MMRPC Week 4: Advanced Base-ics

While my work on actual minis was minimal, it was still a fairly productive week. Mostly because I've been working on the base for Ebonwrath. I've never done a swamp base before, so this has been a learning experience. And because I know myself, I've been alternating between a test base and the "real base" as I decide on what I want to do.

For example, I decided on a CD as the base for the dragon, since none of my other bases would fit all 4 feet. No problem there... but what to texture it with? Well knowing I want a swamp base, it's mostly going to be mud/water. I decided to try using plaster...




This was my test base...

CD with tape around the edge, and cork and sticks glued in place.

With some paint...


I didn't have any water effects, so I tried using gloss coat. It looked ok, but the second coat crackled. So I went to Michaels and picked up some Scene-A-Rama realistic water. I haven't used it yet... We'll see how it turns out. But this is why I have a test base to try it on!!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice! I've been thinking about futzing with some scenic basing, but it seems a bit.....difficult? New at any rate. New is always harder. It's nice to see someone else having some good results with it.
    What did you use for your cork?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one serious looking dragon, even without his wings. I bet it will look awesome in play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you be attempting some swampy flora as well like rushes/reeds and mosses, etc?

    I like the composition so far.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.