Friday, December 30, 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

I saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them the same day I saw Star Wars, and they are such different movies. While Rogue One is a war movie, FB is much more an adventure story, even if it has similar dark undertones.


1920's New York is beautifully recreated beautifully, though we mostly see it being destroyed by Newt's escaped beasts and then rebuilt by Newt and the other wizards of the movie. The magic is just as magical as the first time I sat down to watch Sorcerers Stone, and the years since that movie came out mean that the beasts look even better. The time spent inside Newt's magical suitcase is... well, I think it may have been my favorite part of the movie.

There is little time given over to explain much of anything in the movie, or even to give much room for character introduction, let alone development. We're just tossed into the middle of the action, and then spend the rest of the movie mostly rushing about. In this way it's very much like Rogue One. At least here we've got an entire series of movies coming that will let us (hopefully) explore the characters more. And thank goodness for that. I don't think I realized how much I missed having something new in the Potterverse to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.